January 20 – 27, 2012, MOMocrats.com is proud to the mark the 39th anniversary of the passage of Roe v. Wade during the week when the original Supreme court decision was handed down years ago. We’ll be doing so alongside hundreds of other feminist, pro-choice, progressive organizations.
The Silver Ribbon Virtual March on Congress is for men and women who support reproductive justice: excellent prenatal care, family planning/contraceptive use, access to abortion, and healthy human sexuality. Yet, according to the Guttmacher Institute, since 2010, 36 states have enacted 135 provisions limiting access to reproductive health care, including 92 measures restricting abortion. This is a War on Women.
Starting January 20, 2012, supporters will be able to upload a few key identifying pieces of information (username, zip code) to a map that shows how widespread support for reproductive rights really is across all fifty states. A prior “virtual march” in 2010 yielded over 1,2 million contacts to members of Congress on women’s health; this year we aim to stop the War on Women by reminding Governors, state and Congressional legislators how many men and women support choice. Raise you voice now through January 27, 2012!
Here’s how it works:
- Go to MoveOn.org’s MOMocrats link. Choose one of the messages below:
(There’ll be follow-up opportunities to voice a specific message using your own words.)
- I trust women and I vote.
- Reproductive rights are human rights.
- Keep abortion safe and legal, and make it accessible and affordable.
- Stand up and be counted for reproductive justice.
- We are the 99%. Fix the economy, and stop the war on women.
- Women are watching and we vote.
- Enter your zip code and press send. MoveOn will create a map of all the responses and distribute your messages to the appropriate legislator.
- Choose to opt-in and have your information shared with MOMocrats.com and/or MoveOn.org.
- Keep an eye out for more actions you can take after joining in this super-petition.
It’s time we stood up and said, “No more.” We are the majority, and we trust each woman to make choices that are right for her.
Cynematic is a pro-child, pro-choice mom.